- Hilsa - Health Benefits, Nutritional Values & Recipes
- Red Wine: Is it really Good?
- Toxic Chemicals in Bread may cause Cancer and Thyroid Disorders
- The Essential Goa Cookbook by Maria Teresa Menezes - Paperback – 14 Oct 2000
- The Essential Kerala Cookbook by Vijayan Kannampilly - Paperback – 28 Apr 2003
Cakes play an important role in any celebrations. Now-a-days having a cake and eating the cake too is becoming synonymous with a person’s birthday celebrations. Birthday cakes are old heritage items and they are an integral part of all birthday celebrations.
Most often birthdays are celebrated by children. Most of a child’s early photos of childhood are consisting of a big table, on which there is a delicious birthday cake in front of the child. Many a times the presence of candle is in same number as the age of the child. Like if you are turning 9, there will be 9 candles on the cake and likewise. The children are asked to make a wish when the candles are blown out. This is an antiquity and light-hearten tradition.
Birthdays are celebrated ever since the Roman ages. In the Roman era, this occasion was celebrated with great enthusiasm, pomp and splendor and with hedonistic presents and parties. There are quite a lot of variations on the tradition of birthday celebrations depending on different cultures spread throughout the world.
Birthday songs are sung during the celebrations. For the representation of sharing togetherness and of joy, the birthday cake is served to all guests who have attended the party. As a gesture of courtesy, it shows a person’s hospitality and respect for other people present. This dish can be served as a dessert too.
The modern and contemporary cakes have multiple layers, decorations and icings. These elaborate cakes were available to wealthy people only. Due to advancement in technology this dish is now-a-days being more accessible. Development of this dish is due to the reason of culinary development and advancement of confectionery.
- Rainbow Clown Cake
- Red Velvet Cake IV
- White Almond Wedding Cake
- German Chocolate Cake III
- Chocolate Banana Layer Cake
- One-Two-Three-Four Cake II
For making of Cake-
- Soft unsalted butter 16 tablespoon, for pans 2 and half cups of cake flour, + more for the pans
- Baking powder 2 and half teaspoon
- Kosher salt 1 teaspoon
- ½ milk cup
- Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
- Sugar cups 1 and half
- Lemon zest 2 tablespoon, + juice 2 tablespoons
- Eggs- 4
For garnishing and butter cream-
- Sugar ¾ cups
- Egg whites 3
- Soft unsalted butter 20 tablespoons, + 4 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- Melted, cooled 2 oz white chocolate
- Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
- Kosher salt 1/8 teaspoon
- Graham crackers finely ground ¾ cups
- Lemon slices candied for garnishing
Cake making- Oven is heated to 350 C. Flour and butter two 9 inch cake pans that are round. Keep aside. Baking powder, salt and flour are whisked in a bowl. Keep aside. Vanilla and milk is whisked in a bowl. Keep aside. In stand mixer cream sugar, butter, zest and juice on medium flame till fluffy for 3 minutes. Eggs are added one after the other. Beat nicely after one addition. At low heat add in 3 batches the dry ingredients. In 2 batches add wet ingredients. Speed is increased to high. Beat till batter is smooth, for 5 seconds. Large air bubbles are expelled. The cake is baked till toothpick being inserted in the middle comes out dry and clean, for 25 to 30 minutes. Cake is cooled for 20 minutes in the pans. Use serrated knife for cutting the cake and serving it to guests.
Making of butter cream- Egg and sugar is placed in a bowl of stand mixer. Keep it over simmering water saucepan. Bowl is removed from saucepan, and placed on mixer with a whisk. Then beat at a high speed till meringue cools and stiff formation of peaks occurs. Add soft butter to meringue, beat till smooth. Stir vanilla, salt and dark brown chocolate. Candied slices of lemon are used for garnishing purposes and the name of the birthday boy is written on the cake. Greetings of “Happy Birthday” are also written on it.