- Hilsa - Health Benefits, Nutritional Values & Recipes
- Red Wine: Is it really Good?
- Toxic Chemicals in Bread may cause Cancer and Thyroid Disorders
- The Essential Goa Cookbook by Maria Teresa Menezes - Paperback – 14 Oct 2000
- The Essential Kerala Cookbook by Vijayan Kannampilly - Paperback – 28 Apr 2003
Veg Kolhapuri is a vegetarian type of dish from the place Kolhapur which is situated in South Maharashtra state of India. This dish has characteristics of mixed vegetables and dry gravy dish. This item is mostly eaten as a main course.
In rural areas and in Kolhapur it comes along with chapatti. In other areas and in outlets of fast food present in India, this item goes well with paratha, kulcha, naan or roti. Kolhapur is known for its non-vegetarian fare. “Tambda Rassa” is the red gravy which is very well-known in Kolhapur.
Veg Kolhapuri is rich, spicy and it is mostly served with rice bhakris. Along with Kolhapuri masalas, the vegetables are cooked with curry of red chilli paste. The mixture is quite authentic. Kolhapur cuisine is popular for its pungent, hot and spicy flavours.
The Kolhapuri Kunda Lasun Masala or onion-garlic masala is that spice which blends well with the flavour of the dish in which it has been added. Many a times it is added to dal and vegetables.
Veg Kolhapuri is a North Indian side dish. This dish is mentioned in the menu card of nearly all North Indian restaurants. The dish of Veg Kolhapuri has been inspired from a hot and non-vegetarian dish from Kolhapuri cuisine namely “Tambda Rassa”. Tambda meaning is red and Rassa meaning is gravy or thin curry.
Red chilli powder which are made from lavangi chillies in one ingredient of Kolhapuri masala. Lavangi Chillies are small but too hot. In case you do not want the fieriness of lavangi mirchi you can add Kashmiri red chillies or Byadaki chillies. Therefore in accordance of with red chilli added pungency element and heat element can be decreased or increased.
Kolhapuri masala is made fresh for the curry. According to your choice vegetables can be added. This dish is best served with phulkas, bajra bhakri, bread and jowar bhakri. Veg Kolhapuri is a spicy dish which most Indians can bear. Cut down on ginger, garlic and dry red chillies if otherwise.
Paneer may be added sometimes in place of vegetables to make this item, but vegetables are commonly preferred to prepare the dish.
- Medium cubed carrots-1 cup
- Cut and peeled medium cubed potato-one and half cup
- Frozen medium florets cauliflower-1 cup
- Frozen green peas-1 cup
- 2 inch pieces of french beans-half cup
- Chopped finely onions-1 cup
- Chopped finely tomato-2 cups
- Chopped finely ginger-1 inch
- Garlic cloves big-12 or 8
- Kashmiri red chilli powder-3 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder (cayenne)-4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder-half teaspoon
- Oil-12 teaspoon
- Kolhapuri Masala-4 tablespoon
- Cashew nuts fried-4 tablespoon
- Cardamom powder-half teaspoon
- Clove powder-4 pinches
- Fennel seeds powder-1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon powder-1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg powder-2 pinch
- Salt for taste
- 4 tablespoon oil is heated in a kadai. Garlic and ginger is sauted. Onion is added and fried till it becomes pink in colour. Tomato and red chilli powder is added. Some salt is sprinkled. Cook until tomatoes become mushy. Kadai is removed from heat and the mixture is allowed to cool. Grind to form a fine puree by addition of some water. Same kadai is used and 6 tablespoons of oil is heated. The flame is medium. Turmeric and 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder is added. Quickly add French beans and potato.mix nicely. Cover it, cook it for 5 minutes. Stir constantly so as to prevent burning. Turn heat to high flame. Add tomato-onion puree. Stir nicely. Add 1 cup of water.
- The gravy will start to boil. Once this happens add fennel seeds, clove powder, cardamom powder, salt, kolhapuri masala, and cinnamon powder. Along with it add cauliflower, carrots and peas. The kadai is covered and simmering is done over medium flame for 20 minutes or until vegetables get cooked. In a tadka pan which is small 2 tablespoons of oil is heated. Add 2 tablespoon Kashmiri red chilli powder and quickly pour it on top of the vegetable curry that is prepared. Stir nicely. Serve it when it is hot. Fried cashews are added for garnishing.