- Hilsa - Health Benefits, Nutritional Values & Recipes
- Red Wine: Is it really Good?
- Toxic Chemicals in Bread may cause Cancer and Thyroid Disorders
- The Essential Goa Cookbook by Maria Teresa Menezes - Paperback – 14 Oct 2000
- The Essential Kerala Cookbook by Vijayan Kannampilly - Paperback – 28 Apr 2003
Punjabi Arhar Dry Fry is a Punjabi dish of preparing arhar dal fry. There are a numerous ways of making lentils or dal. This dish is one of the ways. In this dish the consistency of the dal is little thick and not thin. Therefore this dish imparts excellence to the dal and so it goes well with parathas, naans or tandoori rotis. The dish also can be accompanied with jeera rice or steamed rice.
It is very easy to cook arhar dal or pigeon pea lentils in the pressure cooker. But in the pot too you can cook the dal which takes 1 hour time. In this dish good quantity of butter is used but whereas in the other arhar dal fry recipes ghee or oil is used. In the first stage ghee or butter is used in making sauted tomato-onion masala. In the later stage butter is again added for dal to be cooked. Coriander powder is used.
Tej patta and cloves are added while tempering. Tej patta are called Indian bay leaves. The bay leaves have an aroma which is similar to the aroma of cinnamon bark. The arhar dal should be cooked very nicely and there should be an easy mashed consistency. The Punjabi Arhar Dal Fry is made in the restaurant style.
Punjabi Arhar Dal Fry dish is flavoured and lightly spiced prepared with pigeon pea lentils. This dish is a main course dish eaten and relished in lunch as well as dinner. It is a tasty dish liked by one and all. It takes less time for preparation. Chana dal, moong dal and masoor dal are the other dal recipes.
Ingredients- (250ml=1 cup)
For cooking in the pressure cooker-
- 2 cups arhar dal
- 1 inch chopped finely ginger
- Half teaspoon turmeric powder
- Half cup onion chopped
- 6 cups water
- Rest ingredients-
- 4 tablespoon butter for tempering
- 2 tablespoon butter for later use
- 2 medium tej patta leaves
- 4 cloves
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 chopped medium sized tomato
- 2 green chillies
- 8 crushed garlic
- Onion chopped half cup
- Half teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmir red chilli
- Half teaspoon garam masala powder
- Asafoetida pinch
- 2 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi
- 1 teaspoon powder of dry mango
- Some chopped coriander leaves
- Lentils are rinsed and picked very nicely. Add water and lentils together in a pressure cooker. Add chopped ginger, turmeric powder and onion. Pressure cook while stirring for 10 whistles till dal becomes cooked totally and has mash easy consistency. The dal is mashed with the help of a spoon or a whisk. Cooked dal is kept aside.
- In case the dal becomes thick add little amount of hot water, then set aside.oil is heated in different pan .Add cloves, cumin seeds and tej patta. Firstly fry cumin till it becomes brown. Secondly add garlic, sauté it for 24 seconds.
- Add onions that are chopped and they are fried till light brown. Add green chillies, sauté for little time. Add asafoetida, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. The tomatoes are stirred and added. Tomatoes are sauté till they become soft and till oil leaves side of base of tomato-onion mixture which is part of the masala. Then add kasuri methi which is crushed and then sauté for some time.
- Pour the tempering to the dal that is cooked. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and butter, add little amount of water if needed. The dal is stirred and simmered for 10 minutes till it gets slight thick consistency. Medium consistency of dal can be made if preferred. If you desire little sour taste to be present in dal add 1 teaspoon of dry mango powder at the end. Then stir nicely, simmer dal for 5 minutes after addition of dry mango powder. Garnishing with leaves of coriander. Punjabi Arhar Dal Fry is served hot with jeera rice, rotis, naan, roasted papad, pickle, salad or steamed basmati rice.