- Hilsa - Health Benefits, Nutritional Values & Recipes
- Red Wine: Is it really Good?
- Toxic Chemicals in Bread may cause Cancer and Thyroid Disorders
- The Essential Goa Cookbook by Maria Teresa Menezes - Paperback – 14 Oct 2000
- The Essential Kerala Cookbook by Vijayan Kannampilly - Paperback – 28 Apr 2003
Masala Dosa is a fermented crepe that is made from black lentils and rice batter. It is the best staple dish in many states of South India like Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. It is also very popular in other states of India.
Masala Dosa is indigenous to South India and its real birthplace is merely a conjecture matter. According to popular tradition original Tamilian dosa was thick and soft. The crisp and thin dosa version which has become popular throughout India was first prepared in Karnataka.
Masala Dosa is a street food and a popular breakfast dish. It contains no saturated fats or sugar and is rich in carbohydrates. Its important ingredients are Urad Dal and rice. It is complete protein and is gluten-free. The process of fermentation increases vitamin C and vitamin B content. The other ingredients for preparing this dish may have lower nutritional benefits.
A masala dosa is prepared by stuffing the dosa with onions, spices, potatoes and green chillies that are lightly cooked. Potato filling and dosa batter both have to be prepared. This dish is famous in abroad too. This dish is on the menu card of numerous North Indian Speciality restaurants also. The procedure is quite a long process but it is worth it.
- If you have large quantity of batter, you can make idli first and then make dosa. But for preparing dosa the batter has to become thinner than idli batter. Remaining batter can be kept in refrigerator and used as per requirements.
- You can have masala dosa with sambar for dinner, lunch or breakfast and on holidays. This dish can be eaten along with coconut chutney, groundnut chutney and sambar. This dish is prepared by soaking rice and Urad Dal. Then the soaked rice and lentils are ground finely and then overnight fermentation is done. Warm temperature is required for proper fermentation.
- For aiding the process of fermentation methi seeds can be added. Regular rice is used for making the dish. This recipe is golden brown, soft and crisp. Potato sabzi is the potato filling which makes the masala dosa. Lots of onion is added in the masala in the dosa. The onions add sweetness hint to the potato filling.
- You can use ghee or butter in place of oil for better Masala Dosa. Red chutney is prepared from red chillies and garlic. This chutney can be served while eating this dish. The crisp dosa should be lathered with red chutney or coconut chutney and stuffed with potato sabzi.
- Parboiled rice-4 cups
- Husked and split Black Gram (Dhuli Urad)-1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds-1 teaspoon
- Salt -4 teaspoon
- Oil for smearing pan while cooking dosa
For masala in dosa-
- Peeled, cubed, and boiled potatoes-1000g
- Not very thin sliced onions-3 cups
- Coarsely chopped green chillies-4
- Oil-4 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds-2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves-10
- Salt-4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder-half teaspoon
- Water-1 cup
- Wash, soak rice in one bowl. Dal and fenugreek seeds are soaked and washed in another bowl. This is kept overnight. The dal mixture is grinded together to form an extremely smooth consistency. Then grind rice till smooth and then the two batters are mixed. Add sufficient water and salt so that a dropping consistency is made. Leave for fermentation overnight till it becomes spongy.
- If thick add water for making it thin.Tawa is heated. Oil is brushed over it. When fully hot little water is splashed over it. Quickly pour the batter into the tawa, spread it thin in a circular motion. You have to be very swift and this needs practice. After the batter is spread, heat is lowered and some oil is dribbled round the edges such that it seeps under dosa.
- When edges begin to brown a bit, a flat spoon is passed under it to let the dosa out of the pan. Put potato sabzi in the centre and fold both the edges. It is expected that you know how to prepare Potato Sabzi. Serve along with chutney and sambar.