- Hilsa - Health Benefits, Nutritional Values & Recipes
- Red Wine: Is it really Good?
- Toxic Chemicals in Bread may cause Cancer and Thyroid Disorders
- The Essential Goa Cookbook by Maria Teresa Menezes - Paperback – 14 Oct 2000
- The Essential Kerala Cookbook by Vijayan Kannampilly - Paperback – 28 Apr 2003
Dum Aloo or Alu Dum is the dish which has Kashmiri cuisine, Punjabi cuisine, UP cuisine and Bengali cuisine. In the Kashmiri cuisine, there are small potatoes which are deep fried and then cooked at a slow rate at low heat in spicy gravy. The Punjabi Dum Aloo is not hot and spicy and is more likely to be served in the restaurant very unlike the Kashmiri Dum Aloo.
The UP style of Dum aloo is no garlic and no onion version. The Bengali style of Dum aloo is lightly spiced and a simple dish. From tomatoes Punjabi Dum aloo gets its tanginess, from cashews and onions it gets its sweet hint and with the combination of common Indian spices you can relish a flavored, creamy and spiced delicately Dum Aloo.
This Kashmiri delicacy can be prepared in the kitchen with great convenience. Potatoes are deep fried and then cooked with luscious spices, cardamom, yogurt and masala paste. Baby potatoes without peeling of the skin are used while making this dish.
Frying tomato paste, cashew paste and onion paste is very important in the preparation of North Indian dishes. If this is not done properly you will not get right taste and flavours in the ultimate dish. The item tastes good with vegan yogurt or dairy yogurt. Regular chopped potatoes in large chunks with the addition of kasuri methi are done to make Punjabi Dum aloo more flavourful.
Dum Aloo is semi-healthy dish because it has heavy cream as an ingredient which is high in calories. You will not compromise restaurant styled flavours if you do not deep fry the potatoes. Just boil them and sauté it with 2 teaspoons of oil.
In Punjabi cuisine of Dum Aloo whole spices are used for sautéing ingredients of gravy. Ground spices are used with tomato-onion which imparts fresh flavours and makes the dish aromatic.
This delicious dish is amongst the important coveted recipes of potato curry for the people to relish in the nation and outside. This is a truly mouth watering dish served with curd based gravy of kasuri methi flavours.
- Potatoes boiled in salt water-30
- Chopped finely onion -2 large
- Thick yogurt (Curd)-one and half cups
- Bay leaves-2
- Asafoetida-2 pinch
- Red Chilli powder-2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder-half teaspoon
- Garlic ginger paste 2 tablespoon
- Coriander seeds- 2 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
- Green cardamom-2 pods
- Cinnamon small piece-2
- Cashew nuts-20
- Kasuri methi -1 tablespoon
- Sugar 2 teaspoon (optional)
- Cooking oil-10 tablespoons
- Chopped coriander leaves-4 tablespoons
- The potatoes which are boiled are peeled and are pricked with the help of a fork.4 tablespoons of oil is heated in a pan. Add the boiled potatoes. Fry shallow them over medium flame till they become light brown. Drain it and transfer it to plate. Raw potatoes are deep-fried instead of shallow fry of boiled potatoes for texture change.
- Grind cumin seeds, cashew nuts, coriander seeds, cardamom pod, cloves and cinnamon such that a dry mix powder is formed. Set aside for later use.
- 6 tablespoons of oil are taken in the same kadai and heated. Add asafoetida pinch and sauté them for 30 seconds. Add onions that are finely chopped and bay leaves and sauté till onion becomes light brown ad for nearly 5 minutes. Add garlic ginger paste and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the dry mix powder and sauté for 2 minutes. Beat yogurt and add it slowly in kadai. Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix it nicely once again. Stir constantly for 5minutes till the oil begins to separate. Groundnut oil is used for aromatic flavour.
- Add kasuri methi, salt, fried shallow potatoes and sugar and cook on low flame for 5 minutes. Add one and half cup water and start boiling it. When it begins to boil, cook it by covering on low heat till the required and desired consistency of gravy is got.
- Switch off the heat. Transfer to a serving plate. With coriander leaves Dum Aloo is garnished and served when hot.