- Hilsa - Health Benefits, Nutritional Values & Recipes
- Red Wine: Is it really Good?
- Toxic Chemicals in Bread may cause Cancer and Thyroid Disorders
- The Essential Goa Cookbook by Maria Teresa Menezes - Paperback – 14 Oct 2000
- The Essential Kerala Cookbook by Vijayan Kannampilly - Paperback – 28 Apr 2003
Chicken Biriyani is one-pot rice dish that is great. It can be served even after keeping for few days. Biriyani is a rich dish from South Asia that is made by mixing rice with vegetables or meat and spices. In South India it is associated with Hyderabadi cuisine. In North India it is associated with Delhi’s Mughlai cuisine and Lucknow’s Awadhi cuisine.
In Pulao meat and rice are separately cooked. Then it is mixed before dum cooking. In biriyani the rice that is soaked is fried, and then it is cooked with strong spice and meat. Chicken Biriyani is called “Pakki-Biriyani” where rice and chicken are separately cooked. Then they have combinations in the final step.
Chicken Biriyani is ready in a jiffy. This dish is easy, simple and yet delicious recipe which is incredible to extreme extents. This is just a “too good” recipe. You should not be intimidated by ingredients number or procedure of preparation. You just follow each step and get your friends and families go WOW.
In South India Zeera Samba rice, in North India long-grain brown rice is used in the preparation of this dish. Now-a-days Basmati Rice is the commonest variety of rice that is used in its preparation. Puffed rice is used in its preparation in Bangladesh. Mint Raita and Chicken Biriyani are made for each other.
Nutrition per serving-
- 3kg Chicken cut with bones
- 3 cups of Basmati Rice
- 9 cups of water
- 2 cups of Yogurt
- 2 potatoes, cubed largely (optional)
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 teaspoon minced ginger
- Green chilli for taste
- 3” piece of cinnamon stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 black cardamom
- 4 pieces mace
- 5 green cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- Peppercorns whole for taste
- 2 tablespoon golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons cashews heaped
- Salt for taste
- 2 teaspoons black cumin
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- Half teaspoon turmeric powder
- For taste- red chilli powder
- Half teaspoon saffron or kesar
- 3 chopped mint leaves (handful)
- Half cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups divided fried onions
- Rice is soaked and washed for at least 1 hour.
- 9 cups of water is boiled in a pan.
- Add 2 bay leaves, 2 teaspoon oil and salt, 3 green cardamoms in the boiling water.
- Washed rice is added to boiling water
- Water will start boiling again. Once this happens cook rice for 10 minutes. The depth of the water over the rice should be 3/4th.
- Water is drained from rice. Keep aside. In a different container, water 2 tablespoon and saffron are mixed. It is kept aside and allowed to be soaked.
- Pan is heated on medium flame, and then add butter and oil. Once the pan becomes hot, add golden raisins and cashews. Fry all this for sometime till cashews become light golden colour.
- From pan it is removed. All oil is drained. Set aside. Add all the whole spices like mace, black and green cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Fry for 2 minutes. Add black cumin. They are allowed to sizzle.
- Add garlic and ginger. Fry for 2 minutes and stirring is done continuously. Add the cleaned and washed chicken pieces. They are mixed nicely. Once sealing of chicken occurs add fried onion 1cup, cilantro, salt, red chilli, potatoes, green chilli, yogurt, mint, turmeric, coriander and cumin. Stir constantly. Mixing is done in a good manner. Cover it and cook it for 20 to 25 minutes. Chicken should be boiled 3/4th.
- Oven is preheated to 250F. Oven-proof dish is coated with little oil. Chicken is layered at dish’s bottom together with some pieces of potatoes. Some of the potatoes are left for gravy that is present in the top layer.
- Rice is fluffed up. Add rice on top of chicken. Rice should be half in quantity. Remaining potatoes and gravy are layered over the rice layer. Remaining rice is spread. Raisins, saffron, cashews, cilantro and fried onions are then layered. Some oil is drizzled. The item is covered with air-tight foil.