- Hilsa - Health Benefits, Nutritional Values & Recipes
- Red Wine: Is it really Good?
- Toxic Chemicals in Bread may cause Cancer and Thyroid Disorders
- The Essential Goa Cookbook by Maria Teresa Menezes - Paperback – 14 Oct 2000
- The Essential Kerala Cookbook by Vijayan Kannampilly - Paperback – 28 Apr 2003
Kerala is a Hindu-dominant region present in India. Beef coconut fry has been cooked throughout this state of India since times immemorial. Kerala has the profound influence of Christians, Syrian and Muslim values, food, ideas, tradition and culture.
The simple meaning of this dish is “Beef Fry”. This is a mild spiced dish. It has coconut which is one of its ingredients. Coconut is found in plenty in Kerala because it is a coastal region. So coconut is a ubiquitous ingredient found here and in this dish.
This is a classic dish. The beef should be cooked 2 times. First time in the pressure cooker till it becomes very tender. Then second time it should be fried together with curry leaves and fresh coconut. Due to this combination of beef and coconut the result is very intensely flavored curry of dry style.
This is a delicious dish and favourite of all people in India especially the ones in South India state of Kerala. Beef coconut fry of Kerala is a recipe that is generously shared by you, your friends, your relative and your family members.
This dish can be served with snacks when people and guests visit your home. The dish also plays an important role when accompanied with Idlis, Appams and Dosas.
The ingredients are nutritious and the recipe is healthy. The dish’s importance and significance is felt by one and all because it is very flavorful, mildly spicy, fabulous and popular dish. The recipe should be relished with great enthusiasm because its taste provides a fulfilling meal and a mouth-watering feeling is satisfied by eating this dish.
Important tips are as follows-
- Beef should not be cut into tiny cubes which are too small. Otherwise, they will break and not be in shape.
- Too much onion is not to be used. Otherwise, they will leave taste to beef coconut fry. Usage of shallots must be done. Usage of red onions is good.
- Water in too much quantity must not be used to cook the beef. Water content in beef is enough for cooking them.
- Asian eschalots which are red are present in selected greengrocers and other food shops of Asia.
- Coconut oil is got from Asian and health food shops.
- Curry leaves are got from selected greengrocers.
- The recipe does not require garam masala. You can add it if you want. Oil can be added in excess amounts, if you want well fried beef coconut fry.
- Star anise- 2.
- Ground chilli- 1 teaspoon.
- Ground turmeric- ½ teaspoon.
- Ground coriander- 1 tablespoon.
- Cinnamon quill- 1.
- Coconut pieces- bite sizes- ¼ to a half cup.
- Crushed garlic cloves-8.
- Finely grated ginger piece- 3 cm.
- Chopped finely Asian eschalots red-2.
- Trimmed, cut into pieces of 3 cm, beef chuck-1 kg.
- Coconut oil-1/4 cup -60 ml.
- Curry leaves-15.
- Sliced onion-1.
- Green chillies long, half lengthways-2.
- Lime wedges, rice to serve.
- Use spice grinder, grind cloves and star anise till fine. Place in bowl turmeric, coriander, chilli, ginger, garlic, beef, eschalots and cinnamon. Salt seasoned. Mix well. Cover the lid and marinade overnight.
- Place beef and in pressure cooker put marination. Cook at medium flame for 45 minutes or till there is tendering of beef. Beef is kept aside.
- Heat oil in non-stick frying pan that is large over medium flame. Add curry leaves 7 in number. Cook till crisp or for 1 minute. Remove. Keep aside. Add green chillies and onion. Stir, cook for7 minutes till onion becomes golden. Add rest 8 curry leaves. Cook till the time of 2 minutes or till fragrance is got. Add beef and coconut mixture. Stir, cook for 15 minutes or till dry mixture and browning of beef is got.
- In the beef scatter curry leaves which is crisp and extra shavings of coconut is added. Serve hot with rice and lime wedges.